Monday, September 10, 2012

I'm Not Suggesting EVERYONE...

"And I’m not suggesting that all stressed-out fathers should just get baked. ... But for me, at least, the benefits clearly outweigh the risks." I just don't like the reasoning that goes into this sort statement. I'm not suggesting EVERYONE act in this way, but it totally works for me."
"I'm not suggesting EVERYONE hire a stripper for their son's 18th birthday, but..."

"I'm not suggesting EVERYONE drink a beer for breakfast, but..."

Of course, I feel like if I'm going to express displeasure with the HOW of an argument, I should probably weigh in on the merits. If the guy is objectively doing better with his kids, has no negative side effects from using it, and it came with a doctor's recommendation, I really can't see anything wrong with the approach. In fact, I'm not weighing in one way or the other on the actual drug use.

But, I am going to weigh in on that style of argument. It is all very well and good to acknowledge off the bat you cannot argue from the exact to the general (because this worked for me does not mean it will work for everyone.) But, it always seems like there is an implied argument there. If you're not going to use something to build your argument... just don't say it. I'm not suggesting everyone take my advice, but it works for me.

---

P.S.

This link has been around a few places, but what caught my interest was when I saw it at Althouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you commenting? Thank you! Please be nice; I'm lazy and would hate to actually have to moderate things.