Thursday, May 17, 2012

What Sorts of Characters Do You Play?

So yesterday or the day before, I mentioned that my fiction tends to have an archetype of a scholar warrior. Which got me thinking to the kinds of characters I generally write and generally play. You all probably have someone at the table who says that they'll play any thing. That may be true. But, for most people, there's a kind of character that draws you. It might say something about your personality. So, what do you think?

So, I think we should go all Myers-Briggs on my character choices. In Ultima 4: Mage. In World of Warcraft, Warrior (then Druid on my new server, back to Warrior if I ever rejoin). In Guild Wars 1: Mesmer/Warrior, Illusion tank. DDO: Cleric (healing and buff specialty). In Warhammer: Ironbreaker. In my play through of Tactics Ogre, I needed to hire a character, so I gave it my name and made it a Rune Fencer. Because I could.

Actually, I think I've written about this before. Actors sometimes complain about getting type cast, I wonder if players feel role cast? Does the party thief ever decide he needs to be in Airplane because he is, at his heart, a practical jokester constrained by high drama? I don't know. How do people decide the kind of character they are going to play? I don't really have a set decision path, do other people?

These are the things I think about at work and then write up as notes for things to talk about.

----

P.S.,

Here's a quick fiction update. The new story is going well; we've seen hints of something terrible about to happen. I also have two short stories uploaded via Google Docs. The first is an old story about a kid in a graveyard. The second is about a girl in the desert. Apparently, I like kid heroes. Who knew? I wanted to post the other story in case the Write d20 roll ever ends up asking me to talk about the writing process in one of my short stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you commenting? Thank you! Please be nice; I'm lazy and would hate to actually have to moderate things.