Monday, April 30, 2012

Write d20 Ideas

I receive this newsletter every day. I normally just skim it and toss it. This time though, that linked article jumped out at me. I realized that the first bullet point is really good advice, especially for the time-strapped blogger. Not only that, but I can combine that advice with my love of randomness.

Think of this like a random encounter table, for my blog. Whenever I do not have a topic, I'll grab a random number generator, or a d20, and write the idea that comes up. Then, I'll replace the idea with a new idea, repost the Write d20 Ideas at the bottom of the post. Here are the rules:

1. There must always be 20 ideas. Twenty ideas, there must be.
2. If a topic is written about before being rolled, it will be replaced during the next update.
3. These can be any writing exercise or topic that develops content.
4. It must be written the same day it is rolled for.

As you know, I tend to, uh, break my own rules sometimes, but I'll try to keep myself honest. See below for the first set of 20 ideas. In general, the first 10 will have to deal with fiction, writing, theory and gaming. The second ten will focus more on history.

Write d20 Ideas

1. Escalating challenges to keep adventures interesting.
2. Why writing comic books is hard
3. Why comedy is harder than drama
4. Making magic magical
5. Post a link to a short story; describe the writing and editing process
6. Playing ethical villains
7. Play a random song on Pandora; write a short fiction piece using lyrics from the song.
8. Making fantasy travel fantastic
9. Unity of purpose (in writing fiction)
10. Unity of purpose (in designing table top adventures)
11. Applying history to your table top adventures
12. Popular history is still history
13. History, as events and actions
14. History, as people and interactions
15. History, as movements and reactions
16. Great books, great history: The Great Gatsby
17. Why modern politics is not history (Yet!)
18. Historical perspective: the Internet
19. Why I studied history: True stories are important
20. Why I studied history: Case studies in success and failure

----

P.S.,

My poor rules make photo essays nearly impossible to do with this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you commenting? Thank you! Please be nice; I'm lazy and would hate to actually have to moderate things.